Dermatitis refers to inflammation of the skin. It can be of different types like contact dermatitis, atopic dermatitis, seborrheic dermatitis, etc.
Symptoms of dermatitis include inflammation, swelling, itching, burning sensation and redness. Severe dermatitis can also produce blisters, crusting and scaling of skin.
Some of the common causes are an allergic reaction, certain environmental conditions, irritants, accumulation of toxins in the body, nutritional deficiencies, and genetics. People who have thin or dry skin are more prone to dermatitis.
There are many home remedies that can give you relief from dermatitis symptoms. For these natural remedies, you just need some common ingredients from your kitchen.
Honey is a very commonly used ingredient that can help reduce the inflammatory condition of the skin. It also has antiseptic and antibacterial properties.
- Mix equal parts of raw honey, beeswax and olive oil. Heat the mixture in a double-boiler to make an ointment. When it cools, apply it to your skin and leave it on for several hours. Do this daily for several weeks to notice positive improvement in your skin condition.
- When dealing with radiation-induced dermatitis, applying manuka honey twice daily has been found to be beneficial.
An oatmeal bath can help treat skin irritation, itching and rashes. It will also help keep your skin moisturized.
- Mix one cup of fine powdered oatmeal in lukewarm bath water.
- Soak in this bath water for 15 to 20 minutes daily.
- Repeat this remedy daily for one month.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Another effective ingredient that can be used for treating dermatitis is apple cider vinegar. It will relieve inflammation and itchiness.
- Mix equal parts of apple cider vinegar and water. Use a cotton ball to apply this solution on the affected skin. Allow it to sit for about 30 minutes, and then clean the area with a damp cotton cloth. Repeat this remedy daily for a few weeks to see positive results.
- Another option is to consume two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar mixed in a glass of water two or three times daily.
4. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is widely used in the treatment of inflammatory skin conditions like dermatitis. This will help to restore the pH balance of your skin and relieve the itching sensation and skin irritation. It also has moisturizing and antimicrobial properties.
- Apply fresh aloe vera gel several times a day for a few months to get rid of dermatitis.
- You can also drink a few ounces of aloe vera juice to enjoy healthy and glowing skin.
5. Vitamin E
One of the best and easiest home remedies for dermatitis is vitamin E oil. This oil promotes healing and provides relief from itching and inflammation.
So, apply vitamin E oil on your skin, especially at night before going to bed. You can also try lotions and creams containing vitamin E.
Regular consumption of foods rich in vitamin E, such as sunflower seeds, wheat germ oil, peanut butter and corn, can also help prevent eczema.
6. Coconut Oil
The amazing antimicrobial and moisturizing properties of coconut oil can greatly help deal with the problem of dermatitis. It can significantly reduce redness, scaling and dryness within a few days.
Gently apply some warm coconut oil on the affected area to soften the skin. For best results, use virgin coconut oil daily before going to bed.